Thursday, November 3, 2011

Halloween Tart

The kids are pretty much allowed to pick whatever they want to be for Halloween. 
My oldest has NEVER wanted to be anything cute or sweet. 
She has been a witch (cutest witch ever at 2 years old), skeleton, vampire queen, you name it. 

Except for the year she dressed as the hooker version of Ariel. 


She was four, spotted this little number at Target and HAD to have it. 
I tried explaining to her that it was the toddler size and she needed to move into the "big" kid size. 
But the big kid size was a different design. 

Hysteria ensued. 

On the floor, in the Halloween aisle. 
So I did what every mother dragging a two-year-old and VERY fresh, also screaming, newborn would do. 

I gave her whatever she wanted.

That same year,
The two year old refused to wear his beloved Thomas the Train costume. 
He wore the dog's Vampire cape. 



And that sweet little newborn?


Imagine the fun I had. 

That marked the end of homemade costumes.
I could barely get a shower in those days. 

Fast forward four years. 
My oldest wants to be a Devil. 
I don't like it. I don't like it at all. 


And not just any Devil. 
The $174 costume she saw in a catalog Devil. 
Thankfully, that costume sold out (seriously??!!). 

We negotiate, round and round.
She announces her second choice is a $150 massive goldfish costume.
Guess who recommends we make our own version of the devil costume - minus the horns.


The goal was to be scary and a little glamorous.
And less tarty.
Oh, and warmer.


I actually enjoyed myself a little. 
The headpiece was my favorite.
Still scary. No horns. Everyone was happy. 


Let's not forget "Dark" Vader. 
And if the little one (whose personality has not changed from his Sebastian days) stood still for a second, there would be a picture of him. 


All in all, they had a great time. 
Shivering and hoofing all over the neighborhood paid off. 

Since I am not prepared to endure the preteen "does your mother know you are wearing that" costumes that are inevitably headed my way, I guess I better not complain so much about sewing. 

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous costumes!! I love your story. I wish you could have seen some of the costumes my kids wore! Like the 5-year old who wanted to be Sandy from Grease. Not the cute poodle skirt, saddle shoe Sandy, no - the tight black one. (I just say she looked adorable, but really, what WAS I thinking??)

    ReplyDelete