Thursday, April 21, 2011

Between the Sheets

Growing up I almost always got new sheets for Christmas from my grandmother. And they always had some sort of wintery, holiday, theme. And always flannel. 



They were good. I liked them. 
Not sure why, but I was 10 and didn't care.

Not long after the first wash, they would begin to feel a little scratchy. With little flannel balls. 

My snowman sheets seemed to be exfoliating my entire body. 

My sister still buys sheets like that. 

It must be for sentimental reasons.



Fast forward to grown-up-hood. Wedding registry.

I was 21 when I got married. Tell me, what in the world did I know about registering for all the stuff I supposedly needed to have a proper house? I had just graduated from college. Proper meant you had something to sit on. 

Ralph Lauren sheets seemed like a good choice. Pretty color, reputable brand name. Pricey, but you can't go wrong with Ralph, right? 

I would like to think, at the very least, my style had upgraded from the grandma's-sweatshirt-style snowmen. 



Fast forward to have-my-own-first baby-hood. Crib bedding. 

I lived in South Florida at the time. And I was still learning how to not feel Amish surrounded by Housewives of...(you can fill in the blank, they all apply). 

I wanted the prettiest baby nursery I could considering I didn't know if it was a girl or a boy. 

Ruffles were out. Neutrals were in. 

I walked into The Silly Goose, my most favorite little boutique in Downtown Delray Beach (and the inspiration for my store today) and my favorite store owner in the world, Beth, showed me a bedding line that changed everything I thought I knew. 


Bella Notte
Linen. Embroidered Linen. Silk. Velvet. Satin. Sateen. Lace. Crocheted lace. Oh my. 

Toto, we aren't in Kansas anymore. Or Delaware.

But for a baby? For my sweet, precious, unborn little baby. 

Why shouldn't he/she have the best? I mean, I had way higher standards for that tiny little person than I did for myself. 

I bought them. I trusted Beth knew what she was talking about. She promised I wouldn't regret it. 


It was a girl! 

I am happy to report, nearly 8 years later, that she is happy and healthy, smart and beautiful, and worth way more than I could ever give her. 

But those SHEETS! 
They survived 8 years and two more kids. And got better. 

The crib sheets feel like butter now. I'm telling you, like butter. 

Not that I sleep in butter, but you know what I mean. 



I didn't stop at crib sheets, of course. And let's just say, not only can I never go back to the snowman exfoliators, I can't even consider any Ralph-what's his name either. 

So there you have it. My thoughts on sheets. 

If you're up for more info on how they are made, garment-dyed, and how environmentally friendly, made here in the U.S.A. they are, click here


No comments:

Post a Comment