Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Blueberries for Breakfast

We officially picked more blueberries than we could realistically eat last week at Fifer's.

You can ask my mom - I really don't like to bake.
When a cake is needed for an event I have no problem paying whatever/whoever to deliver a fantastic cake that I had nothing to do with.

But I couldn't waste all those blueberries.
I had serious guilt since they were both locally grown by people I know AND the kids picked them.

To the internet I go.

First up: Paula Deen's Easy Blueberry Skillet Cake.


Super easy.

The fluffy part is literally a tube of buttermilk biscuits and you sort of throw in the rest!
It was actually really tasty - I added a little extra butter and brown sugar to both the bottom and the top.
I never seem to be able to follow the directions - but what fun is that?

Next (and last since I was tired last night) : Barefoot Contessa's Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins.

I will admit on the front end that this was a little bit of a baking disaster.
Normally, everything I make from her collection is beyond delicious (I realize she can be a little off-putting if you watch her on tv, but seriously, her food is amazing).


No, that is not a bite missing on the right side.
It is broken.
They were all broken.

In this instance, I should have broken the rules and filled the muffin cups only partially (the directions say to fill them until they are just over the edge) because I ended up with giant overflowing muffin tops.
And the bottoms just could not support them.

Oh well, they tasted fantastic!
I guess that's all that really matters.

I can't say it was a bad idea - the picking or the baking - I just wouldn't quit my day job to do either!

No comments:

Post a Comment