Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Bears...and Bugs

The pressure was on yesterday. 
Summer Solstice. 

Usually, I wouldn't much care, honestly. 
To the beach or the pool we would go. 

But now that I have the store, my full days with the kids are limited. 
I used to wish for something to do, somewhere to go, because 24/7 with three kids will make you insane. 
I would never change my decision to open the store, 
but I value our days together in a very different way now. 

For those of you who know me, don't fall over when I say this, but I like the woods. 
I have always liked the woods. Not the bugs. Just the woods. 
When I was a little girl I used to make up elaborate stories about living in the trees. 
Like a fairy. 


We went to Brandywine Creek State Park to go "hiking". 
Yes, I know we don't have real hills or mountains in Delaware.
But for my do-absolutely-no-excerise back end, it felt like real hiking. 


We stopped and looked at just about everything. 


Even the ants. And naturally alive mulch. 
Itchy yet?


Speaking of naturally alive. 


Dear Mr. Millipede - I am sorry. 
He did not die, but had to be touched, oh I don't know, ten thousand times. 


I have to say, I was really impressed. 
The trail was absolutely beautiful. 
And so peaceful. 

And strangely familiar. 
Holy crap. 
I ran a Cross Country meet there circa 1997 or so. 
Let me rephrase: Adam and I ran when everyone could see us. Adam and I walked in the woods. 
Because I don't run. 


We made lots of little discoveries along the trail. 


And some big ones. 
Kind of like most days, if we just stop for a second. 


It felt really good to just stop. 


No comments:

Post a Comment